Union County Offers “Grab and Go” Meals at Senior Centers – County of Union, New Jersey | #hospice | #elderly | #seniors
Union County, NJ — The Union County Board of Commissioners is pleased to announce that box-lunch meals will be available to seniors beginning in May, through the “Grab and Go” program. The program is run through the Union County Division on Aging and Disability Resource Connection, in the Department of Human Services.
“This alternative dining option will provide seniors with access to nutritious lunches, while reducing the risk of contracting or spreading the COVID-19 virus,” said County Commission Chairman Alexander Mirabella.
The Grab and Go program is offered for those seniors age 60 and up who reside in Union County, and who are not receiving home delivered meals from Meals-On-Wheels.
It will be available at 19 senior centers and senior housing sites throughout the county every Tuesday and Thursday, beginning on May 4.
Reservations are required, and are available by calling the Division on Aging by 9:00 a.m. on the previous Friday for Tuesday pick-up, and by 9:00 a.m. the previous Monday for Thursday pick-up.
To make a reservation or to register for the program, please call the Union County Division on Aging at (908) 527-4870 or (908) 527-4877.
A voluntary donation of $1.75 is suggested for each meal. Participants will receive guidance on masks, social distance, and any other COVID-19 prevention measures when picking up meals.
Any eligible senior can use the Grab and Go program at any of the following senior centers:
- Ann Ferguson Towers, 1601 Dill Ave., Linden
- Casano Community Center, 314 Chestnut St., Roselle Park
- Cranford Lincoln Apartments, 800 Lincoln Ave., Cranford
- Ehrhart Gardens, 100 Francis St., Union
- Farley Towers, 33 Cherry St., Elizabeth
- Gregorio Recreation Center—330 Helen St., Linden
- Hillside Senior Center—265 Hollywood Ave., Hillside
- JFK Senior Apartments, 250 W. Grand Ave., Rahway
- Kenilworth Senior Center—526 Boulevard, Kenilworth
- Liberty Square Senior Center—204 Elizabeth Ave., Elizabeth
- O’Donnell Dempsey Senior Center—622 Salem Ave., Elizabeth
- Plainfield Senior Center—400 E. Front St., Plainfield
- Roselle Community Center—1268 Shafer Ave., Roselle
- Schaefer Gardens, 35 Summer Ave., Union
- Shady Rest Golf and Country Club, 820 Jerusalem Rd., Scotch Plains
- Stephen Sampson Center, 800 Anna St., Elizabeth
- Union Senior Center—968 Bonnel Ct., Union
- Westfield Community Center—558 W. Broad St., Westfield
- Winfield Community Center—25 Roosevelt Dr., Winfield Park
The Grab and Go program allows for safe social distancing to protect against transmission of COVID-19, while continuing to provide healthy meals for Union County’s aging population. Each meal meets one-third of the daily nutritional requirements of an adult aged 60 or older.
The Division on Aging and Disability Resource Connection is part of the Union County Department of Human Services, and is federally recognized as the Area Agency on Aging for Union County. The nationwide Area Agency on Aging “on-the-ground” model was established under the 1973 Older Americans Act, with the goal of helping seniors live independently, and with dignity, in their communities.
As an Area Agency on Aging, the Division on Aging is authorized to issue contracts for senior service providers including health aide/homemakers, nurse visits, social work visits, hospice, home delivered meals, kosher home delivered meals, congregate nutrition, caregiver services, legal services, information & assistance, social/medical adult day services, residential maintenance, emergency energy assistance, telephone reassurance, grocery shopping, transportation, grandparents raising grandchildren, and much more.
For more information on all ADRC programs call the Union County Division on Aging at 908-527-4870 or 908-527-4877, or visit ucnj.org/aging and use the online contact form.
For all Union County programs and services visit ucnj.org, call the Public Info Line, 877-424-1234, email email@example.com or use the online Contact Form.
Connect with Union County on social media.